YPT Terms and Conditions
Adult Membership and Working With Children Check
Young People’s Theatre Newcastle Inc. (YPT) is a self-funded, community-based organisation, governed by a Constitution and run largely by volunteers. Adult Membership is a requirement for a minimum of one parent per family and for employees, adult tutors and other volunteers.
Adult Membership is renewed and invoiced yearly. Adult members accept YPT Objectives as detailed on our website and the commitment involved in Adult Membership and agree to abide by YPT policies and procedures. Adult Members may attend General Meetings, vote in meetings (after 3 meetings have been attended in the previous twelve months); hold elected or appointed officer positions; audition for and/or become involved in productions depending on the criteria set by the Artistic Director for that production.
Our priority is to provide a safe environment for our young people. Adult Members must provide a Working with Children Check (WWCC) within one month of enrolment; students will be ineligible to audition for a production unless this is provided.
Students must be enrolled in a YPT Drama class to access extension classes. Current Drama students have exclusive access to enrol in a range of musical theatre, jazz, tap, and private singing lessons. Contact the Office for availability and registration details. Timetable information can be found on the Theatre School page.
Theatre School Attendance
Punctuality is extremely important at YPT. Punctuality is respectful to others and encourages a professional discipline that is required in the performing arts industry. YPT considers punctuality when casting productions.
To retain a place in a drama class in the following semester appropriate behaviour and a 75% attendance rate over the previous twelve months (or pro rata for a shorter period of enrolment) is required.
Applications for leave of absence may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org for leave greater than 2 weeks for family holidays or ongoing illness. Approved leave of absence will be excluded from the 75% attendance policy.
Leave of absence will not be approved for sport, other weekly commitments personal or school commitments, short holidays (less than 2 weeks), participation in productions with other theatre companies; or events with schools or other organisations. Leave of absence will not be approved for one-off sick leave absences.
Eligibility to audition for YPT Productions
Students are eligible to audition for Productions based on:
- appropriate behaviour, punctuality and participation in drama and extension classes
- 75% attendance in Theatre School Drama classes for the previous semester; or as prescribed by the audition eligibility criteria
- continued attendance at drama classes during the rehearsal phase and performance season
- appropriate record of attendance and behaviour in previous productions
- parent volunteer support in previous productions
- parent provision of a current WWCC prior to the audition to enable them to volunteer during the production season.
- student and parent attendance at a Production Information Meeting (PIM)
- lodgement of a parent signed Production Commitment Form at the audition
- further information is available in our FAQ’s on our Theatre Company page of our website.
Fees and refunds
Fees must be paid prior to attendance at the first class and your place is not confirmed until payment Refunds will not be given for missed classes. Late fees will be charged where payment is not made by the due date. Upon registration families can choose to pay fees as follows:
- immediately via MasterCard or Visa
- by a fortnightly Direct Debit plan. See conditions HERE
- by the ‘Invoice Me’ option. This is frequently used for families who have a Creative or Active Kids voucher to claim. NB: These vouchers must be submitted to YPT on the form found on the Theatre School Page of our website.
A refund will only be given if a student decides to withdraw during the first 2 weeks of enrolment. YPT will refund the remaining classes less an administration fee of $50. After a period of 2 weeks no refunds will apply.
Students are required to wear the full YPT uniform. In addition, both adults and students must wear enclosed shoes in backstage areas of the theatre at all times. YPT follows a consistent procedure relating to uniform. Repeated instances of not wearing the uniform may result in the student not being involved in class activities.
YPT has a uniform code for the following reasons:
- Wearing the YPT uniform focuses students minds on what lies ahead in drama classes. It provides a separation from other activities and the world of drama indicating that drama is the priority.
- The uniform promotes a sense of community and is an external sign of belonging to the YPT family.
- To allow ease of movement with adequate coverage to reduce any risk of exposure that may cause embarrassment.
- Drama is often physical; students often find themselves in a range of extreme physical positions.
YPT Drama class base uniform
- YPT black logo t-shirt OR YPT Production T-shirts (YPT T-shirts can be purchased online at the YPT Member Shop)
- Black, flat, enclosed, soft soled shoes
- Either black long pants, black leggings, black knee length short or 3/4 pants.
Musical Theatre + Jazz uniform
YPT base uniform + black jazz or dance shoes
YPT base uniform + tap shoes
Special Events uniform (e.g. Sparkle + Shine, Jamboree)
YPT base uniform
Any person moving from the foyer into the backstage area or entering through Stage Door is required to sign in and out of the theatre. This is a demonstration of our commitment to safety. Emergency Drills are scheduled at the theatre prior to productions and Evacuation Notices are displayed throughout the theatre buildings.
YPT is required to keep the gates at the Hunter School for the Performing Arts (HSPA) locked during Saturday morning classes.
Parents/carers arriving late to pick up their children after classes or rehearsals will incur a late pick up fee. The invoice will be emailed and added to your account.
Provision of medical and wellbeing information for YPT to support child
YPT requires that parents notify any health or other issues that could affect the welfare of their child at YPT. Issues may include general medical or custody issues, learning difficulties or physical disabilities. At enrolment, we require parents to provide details of any issues and possible strategies to address the issues.
In relation to heath issues, we ask that you nominate the issue, e.g. asthma, allergy, etc., indicate what intervention is required and where necessary, provide a copy of an up to date Medical Action Plan.
Necessary physical contact
Drama classes and rehearsals include the development and exploration of activities that may involve students coming into direct physical contact with the teacher and/or tutor.
Injuries and Loss of Personal Effects
Our classes and activities often involve the development and exploration of physical skills, such as running. These activities carry the risk of physical harm. It is understood and agreed that YPT will not be responsible for any injuries incurred during YPT activities
YPT will not be held responsible for loss or damage of personal belongings whilst at classes.
Student expression and the right to feel safe
All students have the right to feel safe to express themselves in our classes without fear of ridicule, bullying behaviour or physical harm. If any student is in breach of this expectation, YPT has the authority to exclude him or her indefinitely without a refund.
Parents and friends are not permitted to observe YPT classes. Parents are invited to attend open days that are held approximately once per semester.
Photography and Videoing
Parents and students are not permitted to take photographs or video recordings of their child/children or other YPT students while they are engaged in YPT activities.
Consent for YPT to use images
YPT reserves the right to make archival photographic and/or visual recordings of classes, rehearsals, events, excursions and productions for inclusion in YPT archives and for use in YPT multimodal marketing publications.
Student Associate Membership
Students in Year 12 and who have been enrolled at YPT for a minimum of 2 years and have an appropriate participation and attendance record are eligible to apply for Student Associate Membership. Associate Membership enables YPT students who meet the stipulated criteria to be eligible to audition for productions while not being required to attend weekly drama classes. Acceptance is at the discretion of the Management Committee. If accepted, payment of the prescribed fee is required.
Confirmation and Acknowledgement
Upon payment of fees and membership you are stating that you understand, acknowledge and agree with all of YPT’s terms and conditions.
Changes to YPT’s terms and conditions can and will occur from time to time.